Contents Listing - Articles & Features in this issue
he Horsham & Guildford Direct Railway 1860-1965
Irchester - Wellingborough's last ironstone quarry Annesley to East Leake - Part Three The Midland Route to Bristol Ranelagh Bridge Yard A look at Lincolnshire RAILWAY REFLECTIONS No.52: Drawings, design and who did what Bridge deck renewal at Vauxhall Norwich Works remembered Colour Files Rolling Stock Focus Readers' Forum Book Reviews FRONT COVER - 'Princess Royal' 4-6-2 No.46204 Princess Louise leaves Rugby with an express for Euston in 1958. The locomotive a€ one of four 'Princesses' to be given crimson lake livery by BR in 1958 a€" carries the BR style of lining, believed to be the only red-painted member of the class to do so. This soon gave way the following year to the LMS style of lining around the edges of the cab and tender panels.
HANGE AT MANCHESTER CENTRAL - Manchester's finest and best-situated station was the appropriately-named Central, opened in 1880 by the Cheshire Lines Committee and its superb train shed a€ with a span of 210ft and a height of 90ft a€" was one of the most outstanding examples of Victorian railway architecture. The three partners of the CLC a€" the Great Central, Great Northern and Midland a€" subsequently became constituents of the LNER and LMS as the sign on the frontage proclaims, beneath the legend 'Cheshire Lines Railway', an entity which did not actually exist! However, the billboard on the Lower Mosley Street wall advertises British Railways and so dates our photograph as the early years of nationalisation, c1950. Wooden buildings at the front of the station were originally intended to be temporary but lasted until closure, while the structures straddling the forecourt are part of a covered walkway (later removed) to the railway-owned Midland Hotel. Manchester Central closed in 1969 and, after over a decade of uncertainty, re-opened as the 'G-Mex' exhibition hall in 1986.
Adverts and Links based on this content